PLatformWe care about the issues that matter to you.
The United for Saanich platform has been developed in consultation with Saanich residents. It offers a citizen-centered approach to decision making and sets realistic targets.
TRAFFIC AND SAFETY
- Establish a citizen-based traffic committee to address long-standing concerns around mobility, lighting, crosswalks, speed and neighbourhood traffic.
- Coordinate with Saanich Police to ensure the community’s desire for increased enforcement is met.
- Improve affordability by transitioning to a zero-based budget where all expenses must be justified and we will approve departmental budgets on a line-item basis.
- Accelerate the transition away from paper-based processes and records management.
- Create a Saanich App that you can access from your mobile phone. You will be able to use the app to conveniently pay bills, file bylaw and parking complaints, receive development notifications, send feedback, participate in surveys and more.
HOUSING STOCK AND AFFORDABILITY
- Encourage smart densification by supporting developments that are compatible with existing neighbourhoods.
- Fast-track affordable housing projects.
- Work with BC Housing to increase the number of supportive and affordable units in Saanich.
- Utilize the former Emily Carr Library as a site for supportive housing.
- Move forward with approval of garden suites and legal accessory buildings.
LAND USE AND PLANNING
- Introduce ePlanning software to modernize the planning and approval process in order to reduce delays.
- Reboot the consultation process to reduce conflicts between developers and the community. We will formalize the consultation process to ensure fairness.
- Introduce an expedited process that keeps local area plans relevant and up to date. With updated plans, we will be in a better position to address housing affordability and reduce the multi-year delays in bringing desired development proposals to council.
- Consult with residents, stakeholders and all interested individuals to develop a strategic vision for biodiversity and the maintenance and enhancement of environmentally significant areas, including Saanich Parks. This approach must also include cooperative stewardship, as outlined in Saanich Official Community Plan.
- Create a scientific advisory panel for practitioners, scientists and academics to provide direction for what is possible, what is feasible, what is achievable and what the costs will be.
- Set a tree planting target to enhance and preserve Saanich’s tree canopy.
TRANSPARENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY
- Move the strategic planning process into the public, beginning with a series of town hall meetings to determine community priorities and set timelines for completion. This will allow for meaningful public consultation as Saanich develops its vision for the coming 30+ years.
- Reduce the number of in-camera council meetings.
- Require that all Freedom of Information responses are publicly available on the Saanich website.
PARKS AND RECREATION
We will work to ensure that Saanich is the best place for families, students and retirees to live. We’ll focus on community building by supporting initiatives that make our community healthier and more livable.
- Encourage the preservation of urban greenspace by working with BC Hydro on a fair deal to purchase King’s Park.
- Accelerate Saanich’s recreation centre expansion to meet demand.